- Internet Access: Eduroam is available at the UW campus and a UW-Events network is available for those without access to eduroam (the registration code is “CanaDAM”). Detailed instructions to connect to the UW-Events network are available at the registration desk. A reminder that eduroam login credentials are set up through your home institution. Details here.
Here is a google map with some useful locations. Zoom in to see the names of each location, or click the "view larger map" icon in the upper-right corner of the map to get a larger display of the map and names side-by-side. More details are in the lists below.
List of Restaurants around the Downtown Winnipeg Area
- The Merchant Kitchen $$ (314 Donald St, 204-615-2278). Asian fusion.
- Tipsy Cow $$ (285 Portage Ave, 204-944-8928). Burgers.
- Pho Hoang $ (235 Portage Ave, 204-949-0077). Vietnamese, pho.
- Modern Electric Lunch $$ (232 Main Street, 204-306-6404). Modern take on diner food.
- Thom Bargen Coffee & Tea $$ (64 Sherbrook St). Coffee, pastries.
- East India Company $$ (349 York Ave, 204-947-3097). Indian cuisine.
- Bagelsmith $$ (185 Carlton St, 204-306-4633). Montreal-style bagels.
- Affinity Vegetarian Garden $ (100-208 Edmonton St, 204-943-0251). Asian vegetarian food.
- Hargrave St. Market $$ (242 Hargrave St). High-end ‘food court’ featuring local restaurants. Burgers, ramen, pizza, café, tacos, beer.
- Fête Ice Cream & Coffee $$ (300 Assiniboine Ave., 204-942-7087). Ice cream, coffee.
- Oh Doughnuts $$ (326 Broadway, 204‑615‑0802). Gourmet doughnuts.
- The Forks Market (1 Forks Market Rd). Large number of casual dining options..
Portage Ave. (near UW)
- Hildegard’s Bakery $$ (100-686 Portage Ave, 204-615-0889). Bakery with sandwiches for lunch and wood-fired pizza at certain days/times.
- Stella’s Café (@ Plug In) $$ (460 Portage Ave, 204-772-1556). All-day breakfast, sandwiches, burgers, soups, curries.
- Chosabi $$ (520 Portage Ave, 204-615-9386). Sushi burritos and ramen.
- Les Saj $ (480 Portage Ave, 204-788-4477). Middle Eastern, saj flatbreads.
- Banh Mi King $ (510 Portage Ave, 204-775-9323). Vietnamese, banh mi subs, pho.
- Kevin’s Bistro $$ (141 Bannatyne Ave, 204-221-5028). ‘Fancy’ Mac and Cheese.
- Across the Board Game Café $$ (211 Bannatyne Ave, 204-691-3422). Board game café with large food menu.
- Clementine Café $$ (123 Princess St, 204-942-9497). Brunch.
- Parlour Coffee $$ (468 Main St). Coffee, pastries.
- King + Bannatyne $$ (4-100 King St, 204-691-9757). Sandwiches, spiced Porchetta, brisket.
- Peasant Cookery $$$ (283 Bannatyne Ave, 204-989-7700). Rustic-chic, locally-sourced ingredients.
- deer + almond $$$ (85 Princess St, 204-504-8562). Globally inspired small plates, cocktails.
- James Avenue Pumphouse $$ (2-109 James Ave, 204-560-5210). Located in a historic pumping station.
- The King’s Head Pub $$ (120 King St, 204-957-7710). English pub, Indian food.
- Corrientes Argentine Pizzeria $$ (137 Bannatyne Ave, 204-219-5398). Argentinean-style pizza, empanadas.
- Hermanos $$$ (179 Bannatyne Ave, 204-219-5434). Tapas, steak.
- Cordova Tapas & Wine $$ (93 Albert St, 204-691-1900). Tapas.
- Nuburger $$ (472 Stradbrook Ave, 204-888-1001) Burgers.
- Little Sister Coffee Maker $$ (470 River Ave). Coffee, pastries.
- Super Deluxe Pizzeria $$ (4-433 River Ave, 204‑475‑4513). Neapolitan-style pizza.
- Bangkok Thai $$ (100 Osborne St, 2nd floor, 204-474‑0908). Thai cuisine.
Things to See & do in Winnipeg
- Tourism Winnipeg is the official destination travel planning website, giving you information on all things to see and do in Winnipeg. Plan your trip to Winnipeg with this website, which includes upcoming events, travel deals and more.
- The Forks is a popular recreation spot where the rivers meet, with restaurants, a pub and outdoor seating as well. (walking distance).
- The Winnipeg Art Gallery is housed in a unique building right beside the conference venue, which among other things include the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit art in the world. (walking distance).
- Not far from the forks is the Manitoba Legislative Building. Check out the Pool of the Black Star. (walking distance).
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights (walking distance).
- Manitoba Museum (walking distance).
- Across the Board Game Café (walking distance).
- Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada (can be reached by bus).
- Assiniboine park zoo (can be reached by bus).
- New Leaf Conservatory (can be reached by bus).
- Assiniboine Forest for hiking (can be reached by bus).
- Lower Fort Garry (best reached by car).